Monday, July 23, 2007

Kids' Camp 2007

Oh the things swirling in my head right now.


I am off to kids camp this week. Both of our kids are going for the first time and I will be a counselor. Everyone is excited and ready to go - except for me. I want to go and I am looking forward to it, but there is something that is causing a bit of hesistation inside. Maybe it is the unknown. Maybe it is the fact that I will have 6 campers (instead of the normal 2 at Royal Family Kids Camp), or maybe, just maybe, it is because I think I am too old to be a counselor.

I have visions of 6 giddy girls being crazy all night, not wanting to get into their beds, screaming, wanting their mommies, hungry, half want to do this activity and the other half wanting nothing to do with that. You know, all of the normal things that kids are when they are in a new place and ready to experience it all.

I hear it is going to be HOT. I don't do well in the heat. Think wilting flower!

I slept for a total of 10 minutes last night. I was packing all day, not just for me but for Jacob and Sarah. Then two of my campers came over last night to sleep over because their parents are going to HAWAII. So, Ben and Sharon take of for the islands and I get their girls. I got a taste last night of what it is gonna be like. Ooooohhhhhh God help me.

So the picture is of all of our luggage. Ok, I exaggerate. The luggage is what has already been packed. There is more than that. Then last night, Lenny called me from work. We were talking about unloading at camp, where everything is, etc. He told me that we all have to lug our luggage from the parking lot to the lodges. WHAT????? I know that I will barely get my own suitcase and sleeping bag uphill. What in the world is my 6 year old girl and, well, all of my other girls gonna do? I know, ask me to carry it for them. Oh my, it is gonna be a long week.

Jacob is PUMPED to do the BB guns. Lenny is totally fine with it now. You see Lenny had big plans for Jacob. He had planned for almost a year now that on Jacob's 10th birthday (he just turned 9) he would get him a BB gun, take him on a man weekend and shoot BB's all weekend. He would show him how it is done, kind of a rite of passsage Wild At Heart time together. So we get the application for kid's camp about a month ago. One of the activities offered is BB gun shooting.
Lenny flipped out. Ok, another exaggeration. He didn't like that. His whole idea of a man time together was thwarted. What should we do? Not go to camp? No. So, in an effort to be the one to show him how it is done. To not be upstaged and to let this be all about dad and son, he borrowed two guns from a friend. He was gonna make a shooting range in the backyard.

Sarah and I made the targets for the men. By the way, notice Jacob's name on his. Sarah made that one.
So Sarah is not as prissy and she might seem. She wanted in on the action.....
By the way, I know that backyard is a mess. It is from our party on the 4th of July. Well, actually it is always a mess but this time I have a reason.

Ok, so the point to all of this is not to entertain you. Although I know of some of my friends that are chuckling over what they anticipate on hearing at the end of the week. No, I want to tell you that the verse below has screamed out at me louder than what I expect the girls to do this week. I am giving up the comforts of home so that my kids, so that other kids can go to camp. I am so great, right? No, but this verse tells me that I can show the love of Christ to people, in this case, some kids, by simply going to camp and being their counselor. I am gonna miss the AC and ice maker this week, but, hopefully I won't wilt like I thought I might.


Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.


So it is now 8am. All four kids are up and need to get dressed. I need to dry my hair, enjoy my coffeee, pack lunch for 5 of us, get our suitcases and gear into the car, get cash, make the bed, feed the dog, make the beds (scratch that one), pay a few bills, and get to the church on time...by 10am. Think I can do it?

PS.... Ben and Sharon - next year you be the counselor and Lenny and I will get lei'd in Hawaii. Deal ???


4 comments:

tjep said...

I hope you have a great time! You are brave for going!

Carmela said...

You are a greater person than I am, I'll tell you that! I'm bummed that you probably won't see my comment till you get back, but I'll add you to my prayer journal right now.

Christy said...

ok, I just have one thing to say; better you than me! Just kidding. Seriosly though I hope your trip is amazing and I know you are snapping away with the camera so I look forward to your posts when you get home.

christy p said...

oh my goodness... I can't imagine the heat and humidity right now. You are a GOOD woman, Donna. :) I can hardly wait to hear the stories when you return.