Monday, August 20, 2007

Another Day in the Life of the Gisberts

Just some random, idiodic things that happened around here. Let me start with yesterday.

The kids and I went to the doughnut shop before church yesterday morning. I get out of the van and notice that neither Jacob nor Sarah have removed themselves yet. I push the door button on my key fob to get it open and reprimand them for taking so long. The door won't slide open. And Jacob is looking at me kind of quizzically with his hands up in the air. I try to open it manually. Won't open. Man, what is happening now? I wonder.

We get the doughnuts and then go back outside to try to clear it up. I am pressing buttons, unlocking this, opening that, all to no avail. BUT, while I am doing this, the loud car horn honking signaling sound keeps sounds each and every time I try the lock or the door. The cute little family in the doughnut shop with the newborn twins are patient with me but increasingly annoyed.

Fine. I say. We will fix it later. Let's get to church.

Now mind you, both kids had to crawl through the hatch to get to their seats. And at church, they had to crawl through there to get out. Sarah pops her head out of the back of van and screams out to the church secretary "our doors are broken and we can't get out. That's why we are crawling through here."

I ask a good friend of ours who happens to own a Volvo shop (in fact he is a Dr. of Volvos) what to do. He tells me to manually lock, then manually unlock the car. Then start the engine, the turn it off, then manually lock, blah blah blah abbababaldfashdfkljasdllflflflflfl blahhhhhhhhhhh. My head is spinning.

I go out after church to try it. Guess what happens? The alarm goes off in the parking lot and it takes a minute or so to get it to quiet down. Aarrrrgghhh. Still no reconcilation between the dysfunctional door and my patience.

Why did we get a car with so many bells and whistles (literally)?


We spent the day yesterday doing lots of errands, and lots of crawling in and out of the hatch.

Fast forward to this morning. We go grocery shopping and then to Sam's Club. The kids crawl all over the groceries from the store and then the Sam's Club goodies. I notice another Honda Odyssey in the parking lot and the owner right there. I ask the man if he has even had problems with the door. No, he tells me. I told him what what happening and here is what he says to me.... don't laugh at me please.....


"YOU HAVE THE CHILD LOCK ON."

Whaaaattttt? I don't have a child lock on the doors. I try to convince him.

Then my son, my precious son, says to me right in front of the guy. .. "Oh, yeah you do. It is right next to the steering wheel." Now please remember that for the past 24 hours, he and his sister have been climbing through the back. He has had to traverse the bread, the eggs, the 5 12-packs of Diet Coke and the Sam's Club salmon and deli chicken. Why didn't you tell me this before? I demand

"Because we liked climbing through the back."

There you have it. Kids do the darndest things.


Then for dinner, I served the rotisserie chicken that I bought earlier. Both kids are eager to have it. They tell me, "Mom, you are the best cook ever. You should be a chef (that's my dream, by the way). We pretty much like everything you cook. Well, everything EXCEPT FOR THE THINGS WE DON'T LIKE. You make the best macaroni and cheese from a box. But not the real stuff. That's not good."

Was that a compliment or not. I can not tell.

Here is my girl telling me that all is well with her dinner.

Ok, one more thing. Our dog, Captain Jack Sparrow just barely escaped getting the tar beat out of him tonight. Look at what he did.
He chewed up Sarah's bible. Her first big girl bible. A bible that she loves and takes everywhere with her.


She was sooooo mad at him. She was about to strangle him. She took him and put him in his crate and told him that he could not come out until he could behave like a normal dog.




I guess you're gonna live in there, Jack.

We are leaving tomorrow for camping for a week. And we are taking this mutt. We might just loosen his collar on one of our walks. I hope he doesn't run into a bear! (Calm down all of you PETA people. I am just kidding).

7 comments:

Carmela said...

lol! gotta love Jacob :)

by the way, my kids like the boxed mac & cheese over my homemade mac and cheese any day. Makes me feel like a failure as a parent. Oh well.

Carmela said...

and thanks for sharing. Now I don't feel so lame about Joey from church showing me how to operate the "child-proof" gate in the nursery a few months ago.

tjep said...

Donna, I am crying with laughter!!!
I can see you in my mind vividly telling us what happened and I'm just crackin'up!!! I love reading about your life!

On Jack, I guess removing the cherry pits didn't work! LOL!

Christy said...

ok, this was laugh outloud funny and only because it wasnt me!! Kids are the best; I mean think about it one minute you think they are brilliant and you want to love them to pieves and then a split second later you want to stranle them in front of strangers. I have to admit though climing through the back of the car does sound fun!! Oh and about the dog thing we have an idiot dog as well and so I wont tell PETA if you "accidentaly" let the leash go while camping..........nope never saw a thing! ;)

christy p said...

Oh my gosh Donna! I was laughing so hard about the car! That is hilarious. And Mr. Jack...BAD DOG. But...he is so dang cute!!! Hope you have a wonderful, safe camping trip!

Rhonda said...

Donna I laughed out loud at this. I could just hear Sarah yelling the situation to Julie. Kids don't let anything go unnoticed (unless of course they did it and don't want mom to know. Then they lose their brains.) By the way, most child locks only disable the door when you are on the inside and you can still get in from the keyfob or the outside. It sounds like yours is a parent lock as well.

mandy said...

Donna you are too funny!! I love reading about how your family is doing. The smith fam misses you guys...glad to see you all are happy and healthy!!