Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why We Love Camping at the Beach!

We really love to camp. We love our trailer and getting away. We don't take fancy vacations because of money, or lack thereof, but mostly because we are camping type people. We have found more pleasure in our trips in the trailer than almost any other type of getaway that we have had. Our trip to Paris is the only exception. That and any opportunity I get to go away by myself.

Big Sur is awesome. It is foresty, lots of trees, hikes, campfires, and no hookups. Full on camping. By far, it is my most favorite place to be with my family.

But, Bolsa Chica State Beach - well we love that too but for different reasons. It is close to home, close to a grocery store, friends can come visit, electricity, no dirt and oh, the ocean. The magnificent ocean.

There is something about being at the beach at 6am, drinking a great cup of coffee, dressed in jammies and just watching the morning waves. I love to take my chair close to the water and just watch. I might bring my Bible but I find that the stillness and calm won't last for long there, so I wind up just letting myself be amazed with God's glory.

Oh there is glory everywhere in the world, if we would just take the time to see it. But, what is it about the vast body of water that seemingly never ends? How it makes you feel soooo very small surrounded by something enormous, that feeling thrills me. Why is it that when I see a dolphin's fin break the surface of the water, I sit up a bit higher?

And sunsets, ohhhhh a sunset over the ocean is MAGNIFICENT.
And what I really love the most about camping at the beach - what it does to my family. My husband is quite a happy camper at the beach. He could sit all day and just watch the water, or he is in the water, or he is burying the kids in the sand, or he is going for a bike ride on the bike path. He absolutely loves the beach. The kids too.

Here are some of my favorite pics of our recent trip.

This is a friend of the kids. She was heading into the water late in the day. I absolutely love this photo.
A typical sighting of Lenny. This is probably about 6:30am. He has taken his chair, coffee and Bible down close the water. This is from the front step of our trailer - hence the canopy and awning in the foreground.
Sarah, still in her jammies, looking for shells. Probably about 7:30ish am. Late in the day. The surf was rough. Really rough. Just the way my boy likes to surf. He is crazy.

Now, don't think for a moment that our trips are all fun and games. We take our time seriously with the kids. Lenny tries to take any and all opportunities to impart some wisdom, some skill or some truth into their little hearts.

Here is what he passed on to Jacob this trip.


Those are cheese ball puff thingys. Really, my husband should be in the circus or do stand up or be committed to a mental ward. It is like having three children around here.

Hope you all are enjoying the summer and getting to spend wonderful times with the family.

4 comments:

Lori said...

boy, when it rains, it pours. I'm glad that you're blogging again. I've missed you. I'm glad that you've posted all these memories - not just for us, your loyal readers, but because this is a great on-line scrapbook that you'll always be able to look back on.

Rhonda said...

Great post Donna.
By the way, our camping trip that you asked about was at San Simeon.

Christy said...

we just got back from San luis obispo and big sur. SO beautiful and so nice to be away from it all. Although a shower and my own bed are nice too! :)

B. Oldham said...

I see Lenny hasn't changed in his (slightly) old(er) age.

Man I miss the ocean. My new favorite place to go is Panama City Beach. The kids and wife can enjoy the wave less water, while I just enjoy swimming and the salt water on my skin. I do miss the waves, but family comes first.