Friday, December 8, 2006

My Top Ten Reasons for Working in Kids Church

Tonight was our Children's Ministries Leaders Christmas Dinner and Party. Wheew that was a mouthful. It sounds better when Heidi says it.

My part in the whole thing was to bring candy canes which I failed to do. You see, they were in my van when it was stolen this morning. So, nix the candy canes. My other part was to compile and read a top ten list of reasons why we work with kids.

Except for one of them, these are original from me. I thoroughly enjoyed this project.

I hope you enjoy them too.

Top 10 Reasons for
Working With Kids

10. You get to make cool crafts..

9. Sometimes you get to hear great stories about their parents.
We were talking about Adam and Eve during a craft or some time like that. This girl says “oh yes I know them. They were naked in the yard and that’s what my parents like to do.” Don’t even ask me who those parents are

8. Going to see Charlotte’s Web over Christmas vacation is now required

7. You get to sing the cool praise songs
This Little Light of Mine and you get to actually blow it out on your thumb. And, who would not be changed by watching a child sing his heart out to Jesus Loves Me?

6.You get to hear the great Bible Stories told in simple, right-to-it words.
David and Goliath, he trusted in God, the shepherd boy said yes, took his slingshot, slayed the giant. End of story. God Rocks!

5. Kids inspire.
They are not limited by pride or fear of criticism. They put their ideas or comments out there out there with all the confidence in the world.

4. Kids are not bible thumpers nor are they hypocrites.

3. Kids pray with more sincerity than I do.
“God, please bless this food that my mom made. And, oh, please please let this yucky lasagna taste just good enough to swallow so I don’t get in trouble or seem like I don’t like it. Well I don’t like it but I love my mom and I don’t want her to feel bad. But God, I really hate this and can you please hellllllp me? Amen.” (this one came from my own son)

2. They teach us childlike faith.
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven
Matthew 18:1-4

1. Because we should should do everything we can to not hinder the little children coming to Jesus. And it continues in v:5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

0 comments: