Friday, December 8, 2006

We need toilet paper.

If you have not read my previous post about rudeness, scroll down and read that first. Then you will see the irony in this one.

Ok, now that you have read the previous post.... I had the bangdaddy of rudeness happen to me this morning. I went out to my van to get my pink cofffee mug. Guess what I couldn't find? MY VAN. My grey huge big Astro van. Someone stole my van off of my driveway. So rude.

I could not believe what I was seeing, or not seeing is more like it. My neighbor across the street was on her front porch. I ask her "do you see my van anywhere?" She looks up and down the street and shakes her head. "SOMEONE STOLE MY VAN" I yell.

I call Lenny at work at the wrong station and wake the crew up. Sorry Station 3. Back to Station 1. I am telling this to Lenny and Jacob walks in the room. He is a little sleepy head with bed head rubbing his eyes. All of a sudden, his eyes widen at the prospect of something this incredulous happening to the Gisberts. He runs in to wake Sarah. "Sarah Sarah, we've been robbed" No, Jacob we were not robbed. Our van was stolen.

A while later the Sheriff comes to take the report. We are sitting at the table while the kids are eating breakfast. They were amazed at the idea of a real live officer in our home with a gun on his belt. I finally said "Hey, your dad is a fireman, get over it!" The deputy laughed.

So he asked if I had anything of value in the van. I blurt out "yes, my very favorite pink coffee mug that I use for my Sheri Leming imitations". Then I realize how utterly stupid I sounded and proceed to tell him that no, there was nothing of value in there. Just a few Christmas gifts (coloring books and markers). Oh, and a Sam's Club size pack of paper towels and toilet paper.

Jacob fell over laughing at this one. "36 rolls of toilet paper?" he asks. You can see the wheels not just turning, but going into overdrive thinking. He is really cracking up when he says, "Well, if they have to go poop then they are in good shape." ha haha ahahaha. And I answer back, "well what if we have to go poop?" Huge smile instantly turns to contemplation. "Oh, yeah I guess that's a problem." he says.

Then he has a great idea. We should look for houses that are TPed tonight and ask them who did it. Then we will find the thieves. Good idea Jacob.

I realize that having a vehicle stolen is a big deal. I really do. But you know what? I am just not at all concerned about it. Now, I want the van back. I want my van back. I do not want to get another one. I want mine. But, if we have to get a new vehicle, ok we will. If this one is found with damage, ok, we will deal with that. And if it is never found, so be it.

But, I just can not be "worried" about it. God has a plan. I am not a kamakazee Christian who let's life happen to her. But, isn't it ok - no I mean right - to let the peace of God rest on this household and situation? And that is what we are choosing to do. Just not at all worry about it. It is gonna be ok! If God cares about the sparrows, then certainly he cares about our family vehicle.

So Lenny was telling me this morning that the nurse at his doctor's appointment expressed concern and asked if she could do anything for us. I asked Lenny if he told her that we needed toilet paper.


Oh, and something even more hilarious about the whole situation is this. We are the block captains for our Neighborhood Watch. Ironic, eh?

2 comments:

MLasch said...

h92Wow! That's crazy. BTW, you can borrow some TP from me. On second thought, you can keep it!

christy p said...

omygosh....Donna I am sooo sorry. Have you heard anything???? I have to say, tho...that this was a hysterically funny post. I will share with Dale when he gets home!
See ya in three days. :)