Saturday, December 2, 2006

What's on Your Shelf????

In the Family Life class at church we are studying Psalm 119. We have been doing this for several weeks now. This chapter is the longest in the Bible. It has been for me one of the best studies I have done. I use three Bibles to do this. I read from my “church” bible which is the NIV, then I always read the text from the Message because I love the “in your face” paraphrase. Then I might use my Life Application Bible (NKJV) so I can read the study notes. Please don’t misinterpret my using so many Bibles are conceit or piety. I am not a Bible scholar. I need as much help as possible. I don’t always get it the first time around.

So this morning I sat down to read and study verses 153-160. And wow, did this not only speak to me, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I want to share with you one thing that struck me.

The study guide in my Life Application Bible says almost every verse in this chapter has a direct reference to God’s word. Maybe it says precepts, or law, or scriptures, or commands, but the reference is still GOD”S WORD. Repetition was common in the Hebrew culture because the Hebrew people did not have their own personal copies of the scriptures (I did know that) to read as THE GISBERT FAMILY has. They memorized his word and passed it on orally to others.


WOAH. I have to soak this one in. So I began to imagine myself living in those times. And then I came back to 2006 and thought about my own Bible…and all of the other Bibles I have.

How many Bibles does my family have on our red bookshelf? The answer? FIFTEEN . We have 15 Bibles in our home. Of those 15, there are:
5 different translations,
3 daily Bibles
2 study Bibles
1 Boy’s Bible
1 Firefighter’s Bible
And a few standard text-only Bibles

And, to supplement those Bibles (not that God’s Word needs supplication), there is a vast array of Bible study guides. Where To Find It In The Bible, a Bible dictionary, a Concordance, etc.

That right there is enough evidence to show that I should be bathing in God’s Word. I have no reason whatsoever to not have better understanding, better knowledge, a deeper relationship with God.

I challenge you to something. Look in your home. Count the number of Bibles you have. Does that number reflect the amount of time you spend in His word? I will tell you right now that in this household there is quite a disparity between the two. If you are brave enough, leave a comment here with your number.

Oh, and, the next time I hear a call for sending Bibles to a foreign country, I am going to give enough money to send 15 Bibles.

1 comments:

christy p said...

I just counted...we have 7. Each of us has one, plus Dale and I got a joint one for a wedding gift. The joint one has all of my notes in it...the others aren't used as much. I will work on that tho!