Tuesday, January 30, 2007

18 years. We are an adult.



January 29th marked the anniversary of our first date. We have been together for 18 years. Maybe not a long time in some of your minds, but considering my family history and the series of unhealthy relationships and divorce...18 years means a lot to me.

If you are interested, read on. Here is how it all started. I was working in a physical therapy office in Santa Ana as a medical biller/front office person/admin assistant. It was a small group. Lenny came in one day in October of 1988 for the first time. And, even though the thought of dating him or anything like that never occurred to me, I still remember the details of what he was wearing, what he said and what I thought of him. We chatted here and there for the next 3 months off and on when he would come in. Sometime in January, Wendy, the Office Manager, suggested that I go out with Lenny. Now, mind you, I hadn't even thought of that not had he ever mentioned anything like that or even given me any hint that he might interested. Besides, I was 19 and I THOUGHT that he was about 26. Too old for me.

That month my grandmother became increasing ill and required hospitalization. She was admitted to Doctor's Hospital in Lakewood. I started driving to Lakewood each evening to visit with her and family. One morning, when Lenny came in to the office, he inquired about my weekend. I told him about Granny and the happenings of late. I asked about his weekend too. He said that he had taken his mother to a play at Long Beach Community Playhouse.

For some reason, I blurted out that I had never been to a play. TOTAL LIE. And then I realized right then and there that I thought this guy was awesome and I wanted to know him more. He was stunned that I said that. Not the boldness but the fact that I had never been to a play. He went into the workout room, did his routine, and came out and asked me if I would like to go with him to a play on Sunday. Whhhattttt? I am doing backflips in my mind absolutely ecstatic over this but I say to him "Sunday hmmm. Let me check and let you know." Oh the games we play. Mind you, before he even walked into the office that morning, I didn't give him a second thought. But in an instant that all changed. Weird, huh?

Ok, so plans are finalized and we agree to meet on Sunday. I had a beater 1970 gold Nova that embarrassed me to no end. I borrowed my friend Trudy's brand new Rabbit to drive. There was no way I wanted him to see that car. I pull up to his house, he is outside and says to me "nice car." Guess what I say? "Thanks" as if I owned it (more lies).

We go to the play named "There Goes the Bride." It was great. Later we go to Seal Beach pier to walk around. It was freezing cold out there. But, dumb young stupid me does not bring a jacket. Lenny being the ever suave and prepared dater...brings two. (Later I found out that he always kept a second one for dates. PIG). And because I felt so stupid for forgetting one, I refuse his. Don't know why. Just did. Then the more times he asked me, the stupider I felt and the more I refused. Finally he admits that he is cold and he is going to put his on. You should have seen us. He is all bundled up and I am shivering in my short sleeved cotton pink blouse. People probably thought he was a schmo for not offering the jacket to me.

After the date, I drive to Drs. Hosp to see Granny. I walked into the room that I had been to for the previous two weeks. Fully expecting to see a couple of aunts, probably my dad and an assortment of other people. What I saw was a neatly made up bed, no flowers, no people, no sign of Daisy Marie Bingham. No equipment beeping, no respirator humming. Nothing. I walk over to the nurses station to ask. She tells me that "Daisy expired an hour ago." She expired????? Who says that to family members?

I drive over to my aunts house and find everyone there. Some crying, most of them just chatting. Funeral arrangements, details of her passing, Jesus, long lost sister Maxine, etc. It was weird. I went from one high day to one very low evening in a second.

The next day I go to work. Lenny asks how Gran is doing. I blurt out again "she died while we were on the pier." Oh my gosh, what did I just say??? No tact, no warning, no nothing. He just stares at me not knowing what to say. He of course offers condolences but I am sure that he is feeling somewhat bad that I was not there because I was with him.

Ok, so many more details but that was the jist of our first date. Obviously, he asked me out again and the rest is history. By the way, it took about 2 or 3 weeks before we realized just how old we both were. I was 19 and thought he about 26. He was 31 and thought I was about 24. When we both realized the 12 year gap...we were already hooked. There wasn't much that we wanted to do about it.

Here are a few pics from our first year together.

Oh, and I stopped lying tohim. :) .... except when I made him propose marriage. That is a story for June 2.

5 comments:

christy p said...

LOVED reading your story...so neat to hear how people fall in love. I can hardly wait until June for the next chapter!

Debbie said...

You don't lie anymore?? Even when he says "How much did you spent at Wal-Mart??" C'mon now!!!! :-)

DonnaG said...

Ok Debbie, I NEVER lied to him about WalMart. Just waited until the opportune moment to show him the receipt.

Lori said...

I loved reading that. Thanks for the glimpse into your life.

Lenny said...

Lovebug

I love the way you told our story. But you left something out. How I noticed you the day I saw you. I remember thinking, "I wonder what's her story?" I remember the sunshine in your voice, your big sparkling beauitful eyes, your laugh, your beauitful BLOND hair and much much more. I love you very. Thank you for saying yes.


Your Hottie Husband