Friday, February 16, 2007

Grandparent's Day



Every year at school there is this really fun day that is called Special Friend's Day. It used to be called Grandparent's Day but too many kids didn't have a grandparent to visit so the name was changed. I call it Grandparent's Day but it is for anyone special in the kid's life.


John and Linda Nering are Jacob and Sarah's grandparents. Maybe not by blood but definately in heart and relationship. My mother moved to South Carolina shortly after Jacob was born. It was devastating to me and Linda sensed that. She and John immediately "adopted" Lenny and I into their hearts...and of course Jacob. From the first day of his life they have been a part of it. They have known him since before he was born and have treated him like their own.


And then Sarah. My mother died the day we found out Sarah was going to be. Again, I was crushed. Again, John and Linda stepped in. She has mothered me and treated me like I was her own daughter. They have welcomed us and loved us in such an amazing way. Sometimes it is hard for me to accept it. Sometimes, it makes me more sad that my own mother isn't around. Sometimes, it reminds me of what I've lost. Weird I know. It is something that I need to trust God to handle.


But Jacob and Sarah have known no other example of grandparents. Lenny's mother is alive and nearby. We see her frequently but she has dementia and is very frail. She can not do the sleepovers, nurturing and the fun grandma things. I know she loves them, but most of the time, she doesn't really know what is going on. Lenny's father died 3 weeks before Jacob was born. The kids have never known him. My mother moved when Jacob was an infant and died when he was not even 2. They don't know her. My father lives in Alabama and the kids have met him twice. Not a good situation though with him.


So where we lack and hurt, the Nerings have supplemented that. I am truly grateful for them and the kids love them dearly. They are and always will be Grandma Linda and Papa John. Linda and John were even at the hospital when Sarah was born. Linda was in the room. She heard Lenny say "it's a girl."


Ok all of that to say this. Today they came to Grandparent's Day at school. This year both kids are there. Jacob decided that since they have visited him in the past, they should visit Sarah in her Kindgarten class. They had lunch together and got to see the classroom and play some games. And, just to show how nurturing they are...there was a girl at Sarah's table that didn't have anyone special to come visit her. Linda helped her with activities and chatted with her while John worked with Sarah. They are so cool.


Thank you John and Linda for always making us feel special. You are the ones who are special. We love you.

4 comments:

christy p said...

Awesome, heart warming story. Thanks for sharing! Shout out to your friends for stepping up!!!

Debbie said...

Isn't that what being Christians is all about - we are a family! As you said, maybe not by blood, but certainly heart to heart!! I got to be a Special Friend to Jacob last year and have lunch with him in his class! I loved it!!! What a cool thing the school does!

Lori said...

John and Linda love being involved in your kids' life. She is so thrilled when you include her in these types of special events. They absolutely love the relationship that they have with Jacob and Sarah, and I know they do consider themselves to be "real" grandparents. What a wonderful post about them.

Dave Peeters said...

Great story, I am sure that John and Linda appreciate it (I copied and pasted it to them in an email).