Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happy Birthday

This is me....April 26, 1970 on my 1st birthday.
This is me on April 26, 2007 on my 38th birthday. I turned 38 today. Yes today is my birthday, the day I was born, the day the world changed, the day the angels sang for joy. Yeah, right. Nonetheless, it is my birthday and it was a great one at that.

Lenny was home this morning which was wonderful. He was getting the kids out of bed and then all of sudden it became very quiet. I went in to see what was happening. They were on the bed giggling. They pulled out the cutest cards they made last weekend. They were adorable. Lenny had lots of French stuff on his, of course. Jacob wrote the sweetest sentiment on his IN CURSIVE about how much he loves me. And, Sarah wrote very carefully each word about what a great mom I am. It was sooooo nice. They made them last weekend when I went to lunch with some girlfriends AND they kept quiet about the project for 4 days.
Lenny had to leave for a while to go to a Firefighters for Christ breakfast. I was in 7-11 getting a FREE birthday refill (love them there so much) when my cell rings. It is Lenny with all of the firemen calling to sing me Happy Birthday.
I had been buggin' Lenny about painting the living room. I would do it, I just needed his help with moving furniture and stuff like that. So this morning, he told me to go get the paint and he would do all of the prep work for me. He moved everything and then taped the woodwork off so I wouldn't have to. Notice all of the blue tape???? All I have to do tomorrow is pull out the paint and start. No boring, tedious prep. I love that. I would rather have that than any birthday present. So while he was doing all of that, I proceeded to assemble 20 scrapbook pages for the kids in Sarah's class. They had a field trip to a farm and her teacher wanted to make a page for their scrapbooks. So, between all of the wonderful birthday calls, I am in the kitchen gluing, taping, cutting, cropping, sticking, and smiling at these sweet little people holding a baby chick in their teeny little hands. Here is the funny thing. For dinner, Lenny went to Lucille's to get take out. And, instead of a birthday cake, on my request, he went to Olive Garden and bought an ENTIRE sheet of Tiramisu. Tiramisu is my all time favorite ever in the world dessert. Now we didn't eat the entire 12 slices...just two. But the thing is frozen. So, that means, that every now and then, we can take a piece out and have it just for fun. I love being 38.

One more thing. Don't you love it when the people who know you - really know you? I got some great cards today. Of course the ones from my family are my faves. But I got two today that made me love my friends. Not because they gave me a card but because it was so obvious that they know me. Sonya sent me this one with the Eiffel Tower on it and inside it said something about having an Oooh La La day and best wishes for lots of pink. Then Debbie brings me on that made me nearly fall over. I open it up and it is Captain Jack Sparrow wishing me a happy birthday. When I opened it, it plays the theme to Pirates of the Caribbean. I have cool friends.

I am so thankful to God for the 38 years he has given me. I would never say that they were all great, but each year brings me to the next - even the bad ones eventually lead to the good/great/spectacular years. I really do have an amazing life. I sometimes feel like I have the life that others wished they had. Now I realize just how conceited that sounds. Really I don't mean it that way. I guess I mean it in the way that tries to show just how blessed that I KNOW THAT I AM. I feel soooo grateful that I know others would want to feel that. That's what I mean. Not that my house is so fabulous or I drive the best vehicle (remember that my van was stolen) but I have a peace that really truly surpasses all understanding. A sense of security and wellness, of balance that can only come from above.

Thank you God for my life, for my being, for putting me here with Lenny, Jacob and Sarah, for showing me the goodness of you. For giving a life that gets sweeter and sweeter as each year passes.

3 comments:

tjep said...

I love that cupie thing you've got going on in your hair in the first pic! Too cute! You are a true blessing! What a special day you had and how sweet to have family and friends like yours! 38! You're just a baby!

Lori said...

Happy birthday Donna. I need to add your birthday to my birthdayalarm.com reminder e-mails. I can't wait for my kids to write me their own cards. Alvin does a good job of writing the cards for them though, it's too cute.

christy p said...

Happy Birthday Donna!!!! Wow, it sounds like you had a fabulous day. You so deserve it. How did the painting go? You gotta post a picture of the after....
(((hugs)))