Thursday, June 14, 2007

School's Out for the Summer

Today is a very hard day for me. School is out today. Normally, I would be looking forward to this day, anticipating it, readying myself, celebrating even.

But today, it took everything and I mean EVERYTHING I had in me just to hold it together.

Sarah had an adorable Kindergarten graduation. All four K classes marched up to the park for a fun afternoon playing. Then they came back to the classrooms for a sweet little promotion ceremony. The teacher called each child up and presented him/her with a diploma. She congratulated them all on a great year, had wonderfully sweet things to say and just made this day memorable.
Jacob finished 3rd grade with a bang. He did very well this year, improved in nearly every area, and learned a lot. This year has been a challenge for us with him. Not so much because of grades or problems, but with friends and some of the choices they make. He has heard A LOT of street talk from some kids he went to school with. Things that children this age probably shouldn't know. We have struggled with teaching him right from wrong with a healthy balance of respect and boldness to confront his friends. It has not been easy but I have faith that he hears and grows from what we taught him.

His teachers have been a dream for us. At the beginning of the year when I found out that his teacher would not be one person but two sharing a contract, I was a bit hesitant. But they quickly allayed all of our fears. They have been committed, caring and very enthusiastic about their class. One of them had a baby this year. She gave each student a photo birth announcement.

But next year, we won't be there. We will be homeschooling. For many reasons, and for many hopes, we have decided to pull both kids out of public school and teach them here at home. It is a new adventure for us filled with great anticipation, much anxiety and lots of dreams. We are honored, humbled and excited by the prospect of homeschooling. BUT...watching the kids with their friends, talking to the parents, knowing each and every child in their classes, helping the teachers, going on field trips and just being a part of school makes for a hole in our hearts. Lenny, Jacob, Sarah and I have truly enjoyed each and every minute of this school. One of the best things for our family is that Lenny gets to go to their classes and do fire safety presentation. How cool is that? Your dad gets to come to your class and talk about something very exciting.
So, the last day of school this year was absolutely difficult. But, it marks the beginning of something wonderful.


2 comments:

christy p said...

Donna, I am sure it was very hard for you, but I know you will have a wonderful upcoming school year. I am looking forward to reading about your year.

Christy said...

I feel your pain, it is so hard to watch them grow up. The lump in my throat struggels with being proud of who they are becoming and wanting to freeze this very moment in time. I hope next year is a blessing for you and your family as you take on this new adventure.