Monday, September 24, 2007

This is not Charlotte!

I am not one to freak out over bugs or creepy crawlies. I tend to lose it more when I see the approaching expiration date on a carton of milk more than a spider or worm.

BUT TODAY I LOST IT WHEN I SAW A SPIDER.
Ok, I am exaggerating here. It wasn't a spider. Really it was more like eight spiders. And not just any spider but EIGHT BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS.
The kids and I raked up all of the leaves in the front yard. We moved Jacob's bicycle ramp and turned it over. Helloooooo there were four spiders in separate webs all clinging to the underneath. And, NO JOKE there were ..... ready for this.... five different egg sacs all over the thing.
I knew what I had to do. I pulled them all out and stomped all over those poor lil venomous unborn babies. Kinda goes against my belief of how precious life is - well not really.

Then I went into the backyard to do the same with leaves. Guess what? I found another four spiders. I pried them out of their webs and smashed them too. Them with their big fat black bellies and their creepy red hourglass tattoos. Eeeehhhhhwwwww.

I find Black Widows all the time here. Usually hanging out in the bricks in the front yard. Oh and sometimes nesting under the slide. Yeah, I know, my kids use the slide, they could get bit, blah blah blah. We know that they aren't aggressive unless provoked. Until today, that thought has placated me.

NO MORE. Lover, if you are reading this CALL THE EXTERMINATOR. I might turn into that person that screams at the sight of a spider.

6 comments:

christy p said...

OHMYGOSH...I HATE spiders. I would have freaked if I had found that many black widows. Tell "lover" he has no choice...he must call the bug man! :)

Christy said...

oh my gosh!! Those freagin' things are huge! I HATE spiders. Ya' get the poison quick! EEWWWW! Even the pictures freak me out. Did you use a zoom lense? Please tell me you did.

DonnaG said...

CHRISTY H you made me laugh out loud at your comment. Those aren't my pictures. I just got them off of the internet. But I am glad that they had the effect I was hoping for!!!

tjep said...

EEK!!!!! Bleechh!

Carmela said...

EEEEWWWWW!! is right.

Ashley has told me for years when she has seen black widows, but I never believed her, thinking they don't possibly live in our area.

Then I saw one for the first time a few weeks ago. I was in a total state of shock. So now I'm definitely scared cleaning up our backyard.

dhutch said...

What is going on?....We have truly lost count of how many black widows we've found just this week!! Why the little red "tattoos" anyway, your right, Creeeeeeepy!!! Thanks for killing the babies too!