Tuesday, October 16, 2007

English is rough enough

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in eight different ways. The following sentences contains them all:

"A rough-coated, dough-faced ploughman strodes through the streets of Scarborough, coughing and hiccoughing thoughtfully."

Working Jacob's grammar book yesterday, I came across this quote. It is one of my favorite examples of how complex and perplexing it can be to learn English. I am sure that Mrs. Velarde can attest to this. This particular grammar strain is even cannonized in a classic I Love Lucy episode.

Technical note: I can not get this youtube clip onto the post as this one. So see the post below to watch this hilarious scene between Lucy and Ricky.

6 comments:

tjep said...

I agree, the english language is fascinating, isn't it? I used to go through a dictionary and just read the words, for fun!

The Lucy clip is hilarious! I enjoyed watching it!

Christy said...

I LOVE LUCY! No seriously I do! I can still turn on reruns and laugh outloud to this day. One of my best friends has called me Lucy for years; well she just moved next door so I guess that would make her Ethel huh? Cute post. :)

dhutch said...

This cracked me up. It's so true, however I agree with Ricky. Just spell words the way they sound and be done with it!! Stupid English

Lori said...

I love that episode of Lucy. Yes, English is crazy and frustrating. I find myself checking and rechecking everything before I teach it, because I have seen too many teachers teach a grammar concept incorrectly. Then I question myself over again and recheck.

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the laugh! I agree with Christy. I still laugh out loud when I watch the reruns. I have read in more than one place that English is one of the hardest languages to learn - along with Chinese. I love Ricky's last line in that clip..."I had enough trouble learning to speak American."

Christy said...

boo-hoo, where are all your great posts? We miss you? Surely with kids and home schooling you have some crazy story to make us feel normal! :) Maybe for Halloween?