Monday, December 31, 2007

Play Doh and Bacon Grease

You know when you do something that surprises even you, you get all giddy? Well maybe you don't but I do. Sarah was playing with some old Play Doh that was literally falling apart. I looked at the sorry mound of clay and decided to make some myself.
I did and it was great. It was so easy.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 C. flour

1/2 C. salt (good thing you aren't eating the stuff)

2 tsp. cream of tartar

1 T. cooking oil

food coloring

1 C. water

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a large non-stick frying pan. Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until rubbery all the way through. Cool on wax paper. Flip often until completely cooled. Store in a ziplock bag.

This was so easy to make. I made two batches: one red and I added peppermint extract for scent and then I made one yellow and added lemon extract for scent. It was fast too....all of 5 minutes. The thing that took me the longest was cleaning this pan..........
of bacon grease out so I could use it for the play doh. Notice the long empty spot in the mound of cooled bacon fat? I had set the pan out on the patio table so it would cool. Then I would use a paper towel to wipe it out. Well, Jack the dog could not take the temptation of bacon fat smell. Apparently he jumped up on the table and licked a good portion. And, I was wondering why he was poopin' all day. Hmmm. Poor little dog now has to watch his cholesterol.

2 comments:

Christy said...

eewwwww poor dog! Love the play-doh idea and the added scents must have just topped it off! You go girl!

Rhonda said...

At least he didn't lick the whole thing clean.
I love homemade playdoh. It is waaayyy better than the store bought stuff because it doesn't get all crumbly.