Thursday, January 10, 2008

51 more like 22


On Monday, my beloved husband enjoyed yet another one of life's great gifts. A birthday. Yes, we all marked off another year of the Lenny Calendar. While I have been a bit resistant to this new decade of his life, I have decided to look at it in a different light.
Last year he turned 50. And let me just tell you how hard it was for me. For him, not so much, but for me, I had a mid-life crisis in his stead. For reasons that are just too personal to reveal here, I seemed to have viewed his chronological age with well, sadness. There were things that I felt like we were missing out on, life's pleasures that we passing us by and opportunities lost. I am ashamed to admit that I let the printed number of his age take forefront to the attitude and exuberance that he displays before me each day.

If you know Lenny, you know his character to be well, quite a character. He is personable, likeable, warm, caring, energetic, incredibly generous, kind, strong both in strength and will, humble and forceful when necessary. He has had quite a bit of life experience in his 5 decades. He has seen a lot in life both from the fun and recreational pursuits of the outdoorsman that he is and also from what he sees each day as a fireman. Now that he is married and a father, he has experienced even more in life. And let me tell you right now that he is a stellar man. He takes each task that he is given whether it be on the job, at church, in our marriage or in our community and he shines.

Let me give you a vague example. I wish I could be more specific but since this is a work related issue, I can not. Lenny has given his entire heart and soul to God. Not just part of it, but all of it. That means that everything that he does, he does it from a point of view that would be pleasing to God. Doesn't mean that he never makes mistakes or slips, but his ATTITUDE is a godly one. When he falls, it doesn't take long for him to go to God to ask for forgiveness.

A situation arose at work that involved him. It was not anything horrible or an emergency but rather something that he knew would be something that he should be involved in. No one had done anything offensive or anything like that. It was simply a logistics issue. He politely and respectfully took the appropriate steps to get the situation resolved. And it was resolved to his satisfaction.

But it hasn't been easy for him. People don't always understand standing up when no one else stands with you. It is easy to be part of a crowd or a rally, but when your voice is the only one speaking out, well, that can be lonely...awfully lonely. But he hasn't backed down. He continues to stand, stand tall and do what is right. For that, I am awfully proud of him.

Lately, we have been talking about our bodies, how we are breaking down, his shoulder, my headaches, his knee, my cracking bones, his booty owie, my wrinkles and his gray hair, my weight/his weight, oh and so much more. It is almost comical at how we are changing. It is good though.

Those wrinkles and gray hairs mean wisdom. That sore shoulder means that he has been using it. His stingray mark means that at 50 years old he is still out in the ocean in the wintertime boogie boarding while his 9-year old and and the neighbor kid sit up on the beach because they are too tired to keep up with dad. His knee pains him because of all of the years that he RAN MARATHONS and TRIATHALONS.

He kicks butt!

Monday was his 51st birthday. I swear it looks like he is gonna make this year more remarkable than many of the past.

Sarah INSISTED on putting exactly 51 candles in addition to the "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" set of candles.


Notice how bright the cake is????


Made his wish and now blows them out......


"I did it!"

Last weekend, we went to Pastor Matt and Dani's wedding. It was wonderful and so much fun. Well, there was a dance floor, music, a cheering crowd and Lenny. Hmmmm. It couldn't be helped. He had to do it.

Last night at church, one of the groomsmen, Tim, came up to me and said something like "Lenny is the man." He was referring to many of the moments similar to this one above from the wedding. We laughed and then I said, "I know, he is crazy. And he even turned 51 on Monday two days later." Tim looks at me, shocked, and says in all seriousness, "yeah 51 more like 22." That made Lenny's day.

Happy Birthday Lover.

6 comments:

tjep said...

Lenny is definitely a FOXHOLE guy!!! Happy late-Birthday, Lenny!

Be very proud of your man, Donna! Be very, very proud!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Lenny. You are the youngest 51 year-old I know. Nice post Donna - very sweet.

Christy said...

Very aweet post Donna. Lucky you? yes. But lucky Lenny as well. Be blessed with another year together. :)Happy Birthday Lenny!

christy p said...

Happy Birthday Lenny!!!!! You are a fabulous man/dad/hubby and friend!

GREAT post, Donna. I made HH read it too!

((hugs))

Rhonda said...

Happy belated birthday Lenny! You ARE the man - or at least one of them :) Love the cake too!

Carmela said...

Happy Birthday to Lenny :)

Very nice post, Donna. Thanks for sharing!