Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Double Digits and Happy Anniversary to us!

May 29, 2008. Our very precious little boy is Double Digits. He turns 10 in just a few hours. He is one whole decade old, or should I say "young"? I really am having a time with this birthday, this milestone of sorts. I always embrace the celebrations, the moving on into another phase of life (except when Lenny turned 50). But this 10-years-old thing is gripping me in a way that I can not explain.
I look at him and I marvel at God's workmanship, at his amazing attention to detail in every part of this child's being. His personality, his eye color, the way his eyebrows are exact duplicates of his father's. I hear his heart and watch his growth, I see his talents and I hear his voice. I revel in his laughter and twitch at his complaining. My heart aches when he cries and my soul sings when he wants to snuggle. He feels so good to hold. He is so fun to be with, he makes me laugh harder than I ever thought a little person could.

He is a gift from my heavenly father. One that I do not deserve nor have any idea on how to raise. He is one of the best things ever to happen to me.

He is so excited about this birthday. Mostly because we have been making a big deal about double digits. We explained to him that for only 9 years can you be single digits. When you turn 10, you are double digits for the rest of your life - unless you live to be 100 and he is most certain that he will. Several times today he has let out his glee at another birthday, at being 10. Then he quickly comes over to apologize for growing up too quickly. But then he admits that he is really happy to have a birthday. He is so stinkin' adorable.

So as we sing Happy Birthday to Jacob, Lenny and I will celebrate 10 years of parenting. 10 years of raising a child in the ways of the Lord, nurturing his spirit, feeding his body and soul, bathing, playing and enjoying this amazing role as parents.
I am sitting here pondering this day, this event, this huge life marker all alone. Lenny is working a 48 right now. I know that he would much rather be here than at work. So, I thought I would post some pics from the last 10 years of Jacob just for the best dad in the whole wide world.

Lenny, I love you and I think you are one of the most amazing fathers I have seen. You are a shining example of how Jacob's Heavenly Father loves him. You are committed, dedicated and the most faithful man that I know. There is no other person on this planet that I would want to share parenting or life with than you. Thank you for being the dad that you are to my kids. I feel like I am the luckiest person alive.

And Jacob, Happy Birthday to you. You are an angel sent from Heaven. You may not always act like one but I know, your dad knows, that you are a gift from God. You coming into a room is the same as when the clouds move out of the sun's way. You light it up and your warmth and smile make everyone happy. We love you so much Jacob. Thank you for being such an awesome kid, for loving God the way you do, for being kind to others and always doing the right thing. You make us proud.

We were looking at some old pictures of him growing up. I scanned a few from our pre-digital camera days to share.

Happy First Birthday
18 months. He loved the fire station



Almost two

3rd birthday 4th birthday

I love this pic of Jacob on the front porch. It captures his love of life and his energy. He goes after it all and this photo seems to be a great image of his personality.


It took everything I had to let him try out the flute. His little fingers would always find their way into the keyholes, he would spit in the mouthpiece and then drop the thing.


May 29th, 2004 6th Birthday


3rd Grade

9th Birthday

He asked me to bring him In and Out for lunch, along with "10 extra orders of fries so I can share with my friends." I am going to feel retarded ordering all of those fries and then an XL Diet Coke. Then we are having cupcakes in his class. Should be a great day!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday Jacob!! Thanks for sharing so much of your lives with us Donna! Love the pics!! And for "that one pic" - he is his mother's son for sure!!!

Christy said...

yay! happy b-day sweet boy! And happy anniversary to you two as well. God is good as we celebrate and rejoice with you in another year of being married and serving him. It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by those of us who watch your lives (even through blogging) :)

christy p said...

Welcome to the double digit club, Jacob!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful post, Donna. Hope you all had a wonderful day!!!