Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Middle Schoolers

Today in class we were learning seasons, months and holidays. As I said the name of each month, I had each student stand when it was his/her birthday month. When April came, I stood up. They asked me how old I was going to be. I cringed when I said, "cuarenta."

A few seconds later I see these two boys who usually act up and talk during class whispering. I ask them what they are talking about.

C: "He says that 40 is the new 20." and points to his neighbor E.

I ooh and ahh and thank him for that. Then,

E: " And I told him that all adults turning 40 say that."

Is that hysterical???

Then after class, a sweet little 6th grader comes up to me and says, "I can see your underwear lines." Aaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Really disarming, aren't they? I had a 7th grader who I taught two years ago, come up to me at church Wednesday night and tell me that I wasn't nearly as fat as I was when I taught him and that he almost didn't recognize me. Surely he knew I was pregnant back then, right?

Rhonda said...

Panty lines huh? I bet they all LOVE you! They will definitely keep you on your toes.

Christy said...

next time say,"oh honey thats cause I AM wearing pantys!!" He,heee! Gotta' love kids!

Carmela said...

Could not resist saying,
if I wasn't a Christian I would BOW DOWN to you for teaching Middle Schoolers! Glad you enjoy them!

I LOVE elementary & I LOVED high school, but could not stomach the middle school kids. Even now, as I'm getting my act together to start subbing again, I will grit my teeth when they call me to sub middle school.

So, hat's off to you! And Congrats!! and a hearty "Welcome to the World of Teaching!!"