Monday, September 22, 2008

Pet Store

Sarah's class does not have a class pet. But her teacher has a sweet little stuffed bear named Baxter that goes home with a different student each evening. Their homework is to take Baxter and help him journal about his evening at each home. Sarah had a ball with this little guy. He even came with his own sleeping bag, pj's and a backpack.

Having Baxter around was a piece of cake... compared to what was to come.

For more than a year now, Sarah has been asking for a hamster. We have had every intention of getting her one. We just had not done it. You know, things happen, we keep putting it off, etc.


Last week at school I saw a flyer for a Guinea pig up for adoption. It is from the home of a classmate of Jacob's. The poor boy is highly allergic to all things furry. The family thought it would best to find a new home. I called his mother, got the furball and brought it home.
Sarah named her Jenny. Jenny the Guinea.


It is so cute and so sweet and really fun to play with. The problem is that now my house seriously smells like Petsmart. You know that smell that hits you when you walk in, that unmistakable animal smell. Come to our house. You'll see what I mean. I don't think it is the piggie. I think it is the bedding and food. It NAUSEATES me.


On another note, Jack the wiener dog is out of his mind crazy to get at this animal. He is beside himself with hunting, sniffing, capturing and claiming victory over the small little thing. He reminds me of a male dog that knows a female is in heat just on the other side of the fence. He howls, whines and barks for this thing. For tonight, her cage is on top of the washer. Jack knows it and is nuts about it.

It is going to be a feat to keep these two apart.

Next animal - a turtle!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I sense that there may be some great stories coming on account Jack and Jenny. So does Sarah LOOOOVVVVEEEE her?

Christy said...

oh man I agree with Rhonda and wait with great anticapation at the stories to come from this. Oh and FYI we will need photos of the mass destruction. :) Is it sad that we look to others Blogs for chaos? I think not! Its more comfort for me knowing you too are a crazy mama! ;)