Sunday, January 7, 2007

And the two shall become one

This afternoon Lenny told me something that has been bothering him for some time now. I didn't know this - or maybe I did but didn't think much about it. Well he pointed it out to me today. Slowly, over time - could have been months or years, I have used the phrases "my", "mine", and "I" instead of "ours", "our", "us", and "we". Obviously, if I am talking about my big fat....behind, then I would most certainly use "my". But when I speak of Jacob and Sarah as my children, it bothers him. He prefers "our" children. Now he is certainly no egomaniac or chauvanistic machismo brute, but he is me and I am him and we are we.

He said that, for him, using "mine" feels like separate checking accounts. Like we aren't sharing things or in it together. Using "ours" and "we" sounds and feels more like a family, like we all inclusive of one another and belong together. I agreed.

I know that at one point in our marriage I did do that. I remember telling people that "we" were pregnant. Some people chuckled, some people even commended me on that. I clearly remember defending that usage as though Lenny and I were in it together. It was our choice to be pregnant, our baby and our family. Why would I be so selfish to say "my" baby?

BUT, over time, I guess I let life and the little selfish thoughts to enter my heart and mind. Perhaps those thoughts started to change the way I viewed things. Only God truly knows. But, one thing is for sure, we are in this together and there is no one that I would rather be in it with than Lenny. I love him more today than I ever have. Even when life seems harder, more challenging, and sometimes too much to handle.

1 comments:

christy p said...

I can so relate to this! See...I call the older girls "mine", so sometimes it just flows over to the youngest two. Thanks for pointing it out to me...I am going to work on that!