Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day


Valentine's Day is my most favorite day of the year. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to celebrating Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries. But, Valentine's Day means so much to me on many different levels. I really love the decorations for one thing. Hearts, love stuff, anything pink or red. Cute decorations. Another thing is the fun stuff to do for school. The kids really enjoy sending cards to their friends and people are walking around in red or something with a heart on it.

But the reason why I really LOVE this day is because of, well, LOVE. Duh, right? I adore my family and I try to tell them and show them my love on a daily/hourly basis. And I know they love me. But what really gets me is when I think of the ultimate Love. When I remember just how much God loved me that he sent Christ for me. John 3:16 tells of the first Valentine. Corny you may think. But think about it more.

"For God so loved the world (Donna) that he gave his only Son that whoever (if she) believes in him (she) would not perish but have everlasting life."

We give Valentine's to the ones we love. But would we ever think of giving more than that? Maybe some chocolates or flowers. But true sacrificial giving????

Last week in Kids Church, the kids read I Corinthians 13:4-7. You know that famous and endearing passage about the qualities of love.... read it.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I sat there in my seat reading each of these qualities. As I progressed through the passage, I could feel myself melting into a mess of emotions. Love is so many things. And there are many ways to practice and demonstrate love.

Pastor Heidi asked the kids to tell of someone that had one of these qualities. Jacob's hand shoots up. He got up and told the group that "my mom is kind." OOOOOoohhhhhhhhhhh I love him so much. He told me later that he knows I love him because of the kinds things I do. That was wonderful to hear.

Sadly, though, something was pointed out to me later. Lenny and I were talking about something on Friday. I can not even remember. He says to me "you are getting historical." Honestly, I thought he said "hysterical" and it made me mad. I was not joking...I was serious :). Then I realized what he said. I couldn't figure out what he meant. Anyway, on Sunday when I read that verse, I GOT IT. I was keeping a record of wrongs. OUCH OUCH OUCH.

Thank you God for correcting me in a not toooo painful manner and before anymore damage could be done.

So I challenge you to something. Take this passage and really examine it. My goal is to pick this apart and see where I lack and where I succeed. I want to be the best Lover (ok ok sounds, well...) of those around me that I can. Especially the three in my home. Do the same thing. Valentine's Day is over, but it is still the month of LOVE.


ps....not sure why the few paragraphs are in black and the rest in pink. blogger bites.


2 comments:

christy p said...

Donna, I guess I get a little "historical" at times too...isn't funny how some entries in our blogs make us think??? Yours made me realize I wasn't very pleasant to my ex hubby yesterday while on the phone..as I got a little historical on him. And truly, I am super happy now, so why am I recalling the "wrongs??" Maybe because he called to irritate me..but two wrongs don't make a right. So, thank you...you made me do some thinking today!

DonnaG said...

CP...glad it did something for you. It is fun to do blogs but sometimes they need to be more helpful than entertaining.