Saturday, May 19, 2007

No Guarantees


We knew when we moved into this house nearly 4 years ago, that we would would replace the carpet SOON. Did you read "nearly 4 years ago"? It all became urgent when our wood floor guy came to refinish the floors before we even moved in. The whole house is wood except for the living room. We asked him to cut back about three feet for a walkway from the entry to the back hallway and then refinish the wood underneath that cut carpet.

Well, he did do what we asked but he cut about 6 feet back. He took too much carpet. In his defense, he did say that we said that we were going to replace the carpet SOON. He thought that "soon" actually meant, well, SOON. "Soon" to us means "in all likelihood, a really long time from now, but we are thinking about it". And, being a wood guy not a carpet guy, he did not tack down the edge. So for 4 YEARS we have been tripping on the loose edge of the carpet as we walk into the living room.

I wish those were the only reasons why we want new carpet. The carpet is really GROSS. Really it is. Last year, we remodeled our kitchen in February, March and April. Rainy months. We had to track into the house through the living room. We TRASHED it. And of course, I would be remiss if I did not 'fess up to my mishaps. Notice the spot near Sarah's hand? That is from me spilling my 64-ounce Diet Coke on the carpet 3 years ago.

Well, almost 4 years TO THE DAY, we are replacing the carpet. Now, I must say that the carpet is not actually installed. We did pay the down payment, but I know that until the actual job is done, it may never get done. Not a pessimist. I just know how we work.

So, to insure that we really do get the carpet....I let the kids do something to the old disgusting rag of carpet that is still here. I LET THEM DRAW ON IT! How crazy is that? If we do not get the new carpet...well, I will be sorry.
Next on my list....countertops for that kitchen remodel from last year and a van. You'd think that getting a vehicle stolen would be a shoe-in for getting a new car.

2 comments:

tjep said...

Oh my gosh, Donna! At first glance I thought it was cement! Finally, new carpeting! Post some pics!

christy p said...

That is hilarious!