Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Explain this to me


This morning I went to WalMart to get a few household items...shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. I absolutely despise that store but, I was in that area and I knew that we needed those items TODAY. So I made a quick little jaunt over there.

I get all of my items checked and I slide the credit card through the machine. It takes it, asks me to accept it, and I sign. The whole transaction is done. Then the cashier asks to see my ID. I hand her my license and realize that I have Lenny's credit card.

By now, there is a very long line of people behind me all very impatient and very ready to meet me in the parking lot. I tell Verna the cashier that I have my husband's credit card. Our last names are the same and I show her the checkbook with both of our names on it. She spews out that some husbands would never loan out their card, especially to some wives and that if he really wanted me to use the credit card, he would have ordered one for me in my name.

She calls the manager over to cancel the transaction. I tell him the same story (the truth really) and he never looks up as he mutters that Wal Mart would NEVER EVER take a card without proper ID. If I have an issue, I need to call the bank.

My entire bill was less than $40 all comprising kid care products and cleaning supplies. Did I look like I was ready to scam Wal Mart?

Then I realize that many times I have used the Self Checkout at WalMart. The machine has never once asked to see my ID. I tell the manager that too. So, you know Verna says? "Don't try to use Self Checkout with that card." She then rushes over to my cart to take the bags out of it. She tells the Manager "Got the merchandise back." as if she has uncovered a major theft in progress.

I know, maybe they thought I was Paris Hilton just sprung from jail trying to pull a fast one on them.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my gosh - this just happened to me at Home Depot. I had used Darren's card before and without any problem. I did the same thing, show them the check book, my ID, etc. They called the credit dept. I told them to ask me anything, his social, his mother's maiden name, his favorite pet - give me any security question and I'll answer it. The response, "how do we know you didn't steal Debbie William's purse and she had those answers in there." Yea, that's the kind of info I carry around. I get security and appreciate the efforts the stores make, but c'mon!

Carmela said...

This is absolute insanity. I've gotten into that same situation at Wal-Mart, but they didn't carry it that far. I did get into the same situation at Costco, but because we are both on the same account, they let it go. It is SERIOUSLY annoying.

christy p said...

I am speechless. (That is a first) You sooooo look like a thief. :)