Thursday, September 13, 2007

First Day of School

Jacob and Sarah started school last week. Jacob is in 4th grade and Sarah is in 1st. I swear it was just yesterday that I ran home to tell Lenny that we were having a baby. That was 10 years ago. I can remember the details vividly and now I look up and here is a 9 1/2 year old sitting right in front of me doing math and taking a model car apart. I blinked and now both of them are big. What happened?

So we have begun our homeschooling journey. We have known for a year that this would be what we would do. September has arrived and school has started. I was doing ok until about two weeks before school started. Then the panic set it. "Could I do this?" "What am I thinking?" "Really, is this gonna be good for them?" Then the day before school started, our pastor's wife came over and brought me a candle. She said that everytime I lit it to remember that she is praying for our school year. Wow, it calmed me down in an instant. I, once again, felt the assurance and conviction that I had for the past year about this being right for us. I truly feel like God has given us all kinds of confirmation along the way that this is what he wants for us. I sadly, lost sight of that for a while.

So last Wednesday came and we hopped right into the business of schooling. We are doing well and aside from a few things that need to be tweaked, it looks like it is going to be a great year. Here is a picture of what the kids think of their teacher!!!

On another note, Lenny took this picture of Sarah and I at breakfast last week. Everyone says we look alike. I don't see it. Do you?

Maybe a blonde version of Katie Holmes and Baby Suri??? Ok,. sooooo kidding!

5 comments:

christy p said...

Donna, I know you are going to have an awesome year...and you are going to be a great teacher. I LOVE Sara's haircut! You TWO look like little twins. :)

Carmela said...

LOVE the pics (especially the first one!)!!!

So glad things are going well for all of you with the homeschooling. I could tell Sarah was excited about her first day of school when we spoke VERY briefly the the Ice Cream Social. So ... Kudos to you!

tjep said...

I am tearing up at the thought of you lighting the candle and knowing that you are being prayed for! What an awesome woman our pastor's wife is!

Sarah is definitely a "mini-me" of you! Too cute!

Rhonda said...

Yay! Know that I will be praying for you too. And yes you and Sarah totally look alike - just as much as Lenny and Jacob look alike. How funny. When (If) you have tough days, remember the benefits and rewards you are going to reap by investing in your kids like this. Go teacher Donna!!!!

Christy said...

You guys are soooo cute! Great picture. They do grow up fast. I am having to let the reigns out this past week and it hurts right in the heart area. Your a good mom though and hats off to you for home schooling. We decided on a small private school and just not eating when tuition was due because I dont have the patience to home school. :)