Friday, January 18, 2008

No More Tonsils

Yesterday, we took Sarah to the hospital to have her tonsilectomy. Wow. You go through a lot of things being a parent, but this was something else. Wow, again I have to say. While, everything went just fine, no complications and even a surprise, it was a rollercoaster of emotions for me.
Big BUT here..while she is recuperating as she should be, she is not happy at all. Last night it wasn't so bad, but today....yikes she is hurting. She is not enjoying the popsicles as much as she thought she might. She says she hates her life she says to me. She theorizes that since she has not died yet, we had no good reason to put her through this trauma. "So what if I could breathe at night. I didn't die yet." "WHHHYYYY???" Oh I think this is going to be a long week.
BEFORE:
Settling in.

This is Dr. Li. She is the anesthsiologist. She came in to introduce herself and meet Sarah. After she asked if Sarah was allergic to any meds, I told her that she wasn't but please be careful because she has a very loose tooth. I knew that it would probably get knocked out with the tubes during the surgery, however, I was not prepared for what really happened. Dr. Li looks at the tooth, wiggles it once or twice and just YANKS IT OUT OF SARAH'S MOUTH. All of us just stood there stunned. Sarah was shocked. Then her mouth starts to bleed.

I think Dr. Li realized that she just should not have done something like that. Maybe it would have been better to wait until Sarah was out. Golly, it was so stunning.

AFTER: Post-Op in recovery. Oh, she looked so good yet so pitiful. All kinds of tubes, an IV, an ice pack on her throat, two foam pillows to prop her to the side, a warming blanket, and the little emesis basin just in case. She was eating ice chips when we got there.

I knew this one was coming. I knew that in addition to supporting Sarah, I was going to be controlling my overactive, very vibrant husband around all of that medical stuff. Apparently, he isn't satisfied with his own fingers in his nose, he has to get the rubber glove to do it too.

People, he truly embarrasses me.


Going home. Not happy at all and frankly, very pale.

At home in her sick bed, letting the morphine take over. Ahhhhhh. Nighty night Sarah.

5 comments:

christy p said...

I hope Sarah feels better soon. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Love that you took a ton of photos. She will appreciate it later in life! As for Lenny, Mr. D does the same exact thing. TOO funny!

Debbie said...

We just came from visiting Princess Sarah and when I say Princess, I mean it!! She has her thrown and all!! :o) We shared a yummy freezer treat with her!! I'm thinking she might milk this for a while - at least she should!!! :o)

tjep said...

Ohhhh...I'm so glad that things went smoothly! Except for that tooth-pulling!(Wide eyes and gasps!) Our Jason had the same thing done when he was four and a half...he was miserable afterwards. But he nevered snored,drooled puddles, grunted, or slept with his mouth wide open again.

Rhonda said...

Oooohhhh Sarah. We are praying for you to feel better soon, but while you aren't, milk it for all it is. So did the tooth fairy come to the hospital?

Christy said...

Good job Sarah. Milk it for all its worth with your daddy cause their suckers for stuff like this. Oh & at the fire station a couple weeks ago the guys were playing with the gloves which is starting to make me think they spend to much time alone with those things! ;)