Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

What do popsicles, ice cream, pain medication and antibiotics have in common???


Tonsilectomy and Adenoidectomy.

Tomorrow, Sarah is going to the hospital to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. She has never really been prone to illness or recurring infections, but instead she stops breathing at night because her tonsils collapse. Whhhhattttt?????? Yes, they collapse and she can not catch her breath. So we are taking an otherwise healthy child, having her put under and surgically removing part of her body. I am struggling with it all.

She, on the other hand, is quite excited about the attention she will get from visitors and the attention she will be giving to all of those popsicles and ice cream.

Yesterday morning, she had to do a pre-op visit and have blood drawn. I don't have any pics because I, being the most supportive mother ever, completely freaked out at the thought of having to sit in the lab with all of the needles. So I made Lenny take her. But I did stay home and hyperventilate while imagining her making a fist. Does that count?

Here she is getting ready to leave for the lab.
Just about 5 minutes ago, she did come up to me and say, "Of course I am scared. I have never ever in my whole life had surgery. It's gonna hurt, I just know it."
My response: "Yes, Sarah it is going to hurt after. That's why Dr. Golund told us to get ice cream. A bowl of ice cream will make all of your pain go away."
I thought of how nice it would be to always eat ice cream to make the pain go away. Lucky little girl, she is.





9 comments:

Lori said...

Poor Sarah! I hope that the ice cream really does do the trick. Josh had that same surgery scheduled last June, but we ended up cancelling it until he's a little older. I will pray for Momma as well as Sarah

Christy said...

I will be praying for you Sarah. You are going to do great! As for you Donna? Hang in there; I know I would be freaking out too! Please let us know how she does.

Debbie said...

Since you have a pretty good supply of pops and ice cream for Sarah - what can we bring you to make you feel better?? A four gallon container of diet coke from 7-11???

christy p said...

OHHH NOOOOO. Poor Sarah! I will be thinking of her tomorrow. Keep us posted on here!

Rhonda said...

Ooohhhh Sarah. We are going to be praying for you! Donna, you are going to do great too. We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to wonder if Jared and Sarah are somehow related. He had the same issues with his tonsils....hmmmmmmm

Christy said...

Hows Sarah doing? Been thinking about you guys.

Debbie said...

We were near your house last night and almost stopped by - but didn't want to bother. How is Sarah and mom today??

Jessica said...

Your comment on my blog about your grandma's advice made me laugh. Hope your little girl has a successful surgery and has fun eating all of that ice cream :)