Thursday, May 8, 2008

Measuring Success

For quite a few years now I have thought of myself as successful.

Not in monetary wealth or vast accumulation of valuable items, but in attitude. I have a fantastic marriage that is ever changing into something greater. My kids are happy, healthy, respectful, bright, fun and love the Lord so much. We have job security which is a fading privilege these days. Our home is comfy, safe, cute and not over mortgaged. I have deep and meaningful friendships, I learn from my mistakes (most of the time), I have favor with the leaders that I come in contact with, and I know that Jesus died for me. I have eternity to look forward to.

I have, on many occasions, thought that many people would envy my life and position in life. I realize just how vain that sounds and really I do not intend to sound snobby or pretentious. I suppose I have had great peace about where I am in life.

Yesterday, my Hottie Husband sent me this from the Purpose Driven Daily Devotional by Rick Warren. He is the author of the Purpose Driven Life (40 Days of Purpose). If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it.

I read through this devotional and found myself snagging on each of the points. Places where I thought I had it all laid out, I had to rethink. Now, don't get me wrong. I do not whatsoever believe that I am "all that". I have never thought that my life is perfect or that there is no room for improvement. I just thought that I was in a good place. Hmmm. It upset my proverbial apple cart.

Read it and see how you measure yourself.


2008/05/07

How Do You Develop Self-Control?by Rick Warren
God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NCV)

*** *** *** ***

Successful people have one obvious trait in common: personal discipline. They are willing to do things that average people are unwilling to do.

It’s my observation that successful people express their self-discipline in six ways:

· Successful people master their moods – They live by their commitments, not their emotions. They do the right thing, even when they don’t feel like it. “A person without self-control is as defenseless as a city with broken-down walls” (Proverbs 25:28 NLT).

· Successful people watch their words – They put their minds in gear before opening their mouths: “Those who control their tongue will have a long life ….” (Proverbs 13:3 NLT).
(THIS IS ONE TOUGH AREA FOR DONNA GISBERT. My friends will testify to this!)

· Successful people restrain their reactions – How much can you take before you lose your cool? “People with good sense restrain their anger; they earn esteem by overlooking wrongs” (Proverbs 19:11 NLT).

· Successful people stick to their schedule – If you don’t determine how you will spend your time, you can be sure that others will decide for you! “So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days” (Ephesians 5:15-16, NLT).
(Home schooling is really testing my commitment to a schedule.)


· Successful people manage their money – They learn to live on less than what they make, and they invest the difference. The value of a budget is that it tells your money where you want it to go rather than wondering where it went: “The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get” (Proverbs 21:20 NLT).
(Need I say more?)

· Successful people maintain their health – That way they can accomplish more and enjoy their achievements: “… control your body and live in holiness and honor” (1 Thessalonians 4:4 NLT).
(It would be appropriate for me to comment here, especially after my recent surgery, however, the surgery has nothing to do with this. I consistently drink too much caffeine, not enough water, and frequently don't "eat my veggies". Walk, exercise? Do I look like I work out? .

Now, where do you need to develop self-control?

The disciplines you establish today will determine your success tomorrow. But it takes more than just willpower for lasting self-control. It takes a power greater than yourself. Think about this promise from the Bible: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline” (2 Timothy 1:7 NLT).

The more I accept God’s control over my life, the more self-control he gives me!

© 2008 Purpose Driven Life. All rights reserved. Rick Warren is the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., one of America's largest and best-known churches. In addition, Rick is author of the New York Times bestseller The Purpose Driven Life and The Purpose Driven Church, which was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th Century. He is also founder of Pastors.com, a global Internet community for ministers.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten about this devotional and how challenging some of the entries were to me. I love this list. It really gets to the heart of a lot.

Christy said...

wow, what a great post. Although I really feel like I am missing the boat now! Yikes! I think I will read that book as it appear we are making big changes in our home and lives most recently.

Melissa said...

I need all the help I can get thru the changes that are happening my life. Reading is a healing pasttime for me. I have just finished reading Trail Thoughts: A Daily Companion for the Journey of Faith and I am feeling so positive now. I look forward to keeping up with your blog and any inspirtaion you have to offer.

Christy said...

ok this morning I couldnt stand it anymore so I dug the book of our shelf and dusted it off. I am starting it today. My husband has read it a couple of times but with so many things on my heart as of now I think this is the perfect time for me. Thanks!

MLasch said...

Oh crap, (oops, not watching my mouth, err... keyboard) I'm the least successful person I know.

christy p said...

Thank You, Donna. I seriously needed to read this today.

tjep said...

I am writing all those down and taping them to the bathroom mirror!

Thanks for sharing!